Black Bean, Sausage and Hominy Stew
- Yield 6 servings
You can also make this recipe in a slow cooker. Set on low for about 8 hours.
- 12 ounces ground turkey sausage
- 2 cans (14 ounce) chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounce) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14 ounce) golden hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14 ounce) Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen diced hash brown potatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Brown the sausage in a large saucepan, stirring until crumbly; drain.
- Stir in the broth, beans, hominy, undrained tomatoes, potatoes, bell pepper, onion, garlic, oregano and chili powder.
- Bring to a boil; reduce the heat.
- Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle into soup bowls.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Phoenix, Inc., Pomegranates & Prickly Pears (The Junior League of Phoenix, Inc., 2005)