Black Bean and Turkey Chili
- Yield 8 servings
Transform this dish into individual casseroles by ladling the chili into small baking dishes and topping with crumbled corn bread or corn muffins and a mixture of Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheeses.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 -- ribs celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 -- (29-ounce) cans black beans
- 4 cups (about) chicken broth
- 1 -- (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon cumin or to taste
- 1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 -- (12-ounce) package vacuum-packed corn
- 1 cup cooked rice
- -- Shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- -- Sour cream
- -- Tortilla chips
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven. Add the turkey. Cook for 5 minutes or until cooked through, stirring frequently. Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the beans, broth, tomato paste, cumin, Mrs. Dash seasoning and red pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 2 hours, adding more broth if the chili becomes too thick,
- Stir in the corn and rice. Cook until heated through. Serve with cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Boston, Boston Uncommon, a Culinary Journey Through Boston's Distinctive Neighborhoods (The Junior League of Boston, 2007).