- 2teaspoons pure olive or canola oil
- 1medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced or 1/2 teaspoon dried red chili flakes
- 1medium tomato, diced
- 1 1/2cups uncooked basmati or Texmati rice
- 1cup low-sodium tomato juice
- 2cups water
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2cup raw pumpkin seeds, lightly toasted*
- 2tablespoons minced cilantro
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- Juice of 1 lime
- Heat olive oil or canola oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, jalapeno or dried red chili flakes and tomatoes; saute 1 minute. Add rice and saute 1 minute. Add tomato juice and water, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 20 minutes.
- Add black beans, pumpkin seeds, cilantro and salt. Squeeze lime over rice. Remove from heat and allow to sit 5 minutes. Then, fluff with a spoon and serve.
*To toast pumpkin seeds: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place pumpkin seeds in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake 15 minutes or until seeds turn golden. If you have more than you need for the recipe, you can lightly salt the remaining seeds and eat them as a snack.
blog comments powered by
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 322
- Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 308mg
- Carbohydrate 62g
- Protein 11g