Black Bean Basmati Rice with Pumpkin Seeds
- Yield 6 servings
Here is a hearty recipe using some pantry staples: basmati rice, pumpkin seeds and black beans. You may add diced tofu or cooked diced chicken or seafood, if you wish.
- 2 teaspoons pure olive or canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -- jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced or 1/2 teaspoon dried red chili flakes
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked basmati or Texmati rice
- 1 cup low-sodium tomato juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 -- (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds, lightly toasted*
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- -- Juice of 1 lime
- Heat olive oil or canola oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, jalapeno or dried red chili flakes and tomatoes; saute 1 minute. Add rice and saute 1 minute. Add tomato juice and water, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 20 minutes.
- Add black beans, pumpkin seeds, cilantro and salt. Squeeze lime over rice. Remove from heat and allow to sit 5 minutes. Then, fluff with a spoon and serve.