Black Bean and Sausage Bake
- Yield: 12 servings
- 1pound dried black beans
- 2quarts water
- 1large onion, chopped
- 1clove garlic, chopped
- 1whole bay leaf
- 2teaspoons salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1cup dry red wine
- 2pounds link Italian, venison or smoked sausage, cut into 1/2 to 1-inch slices
- 1tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1medium onion, sliced
- Generously cover the beans with water in a stockpot. Let stand, covered, for 8 to 10 hours; drain and rinse.
- Combine the beans, 2 quarts water, chopped onion, garlic and bay leaf in the stockpot. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat.
- Simmer, covered, for 4 to 6 hours or until the beans are tender, stirring occasionally and removing the cover 2 hours before the end of the cooking process.
- Stir in the salt and pepper 30 minutes before the beans are tender. Add the wine and mix well.
- Cook the sausage in the butter in a skillet. Add the sliced onion and continue to cook until the sausage is cooked through and the onion is tender, stirring frequently.
- Mash 1 cup of the beans in a bowl and stir into the sausage mixture.
- Add the mashed bean mixture to the beans and mix well. Cook until heated through; discard the bay leaf.
- Spoon the bean mixture into a large baking dish. Bake in a moderate oven for 45 minutes.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Baton Rouge, Inc., River Road Recipes IV: Warm Welcomes, Entertaining Menus from Our Homes to Yours (the Junior League of Baton Rouge, Inc., 2004)