Black Bean and Quinoa Tostadas
- Yield servings
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas
- Olive oil spray
- 3 red peppers, seeded and sliced thin
- 2 onions, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 cups black beans (2 cans)
- 1 tablespoon chopped jarred jalapenos plus 1/4 cup brine
- 1 package broccoli slaw
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 ounces queso fresco
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Spread tortillas on 2 baking sheets and coat with oil spray on each side. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, until crisp. Rotate baking sheets after 4 minutes.
- Put 1 T olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat and add onions and peppers. Cook covered for 10 minutes. Uncover and increase heat to medium high. Cook for 6 more minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 T lime juice. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat remaining 1 T of olive oil in skillet. Add beans, jalapenos and 1 T of the brine. Cook for 5 minutes, mashing beans with the back of your fork or a potato masher.
- Toss coleslaw mix with remaining jalapeno brine. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt, cilantro and garlic.
- Spread beans on tortillas, and top with quinoa, vegetables and slaw. Top with yogurt mixture and sprinkle queso fresco.
Reprinted with permission from Wendy Polisi’s The Quintessential Quinoa Cookbook (Skyhorse Publishing, 2012).