Black Bean and Caramelized Onion Burritos
- Yield 8 servings
Caramelized onion add a touch of sweetness to these black bean burritos.
- 3 cups thinly sliced red onion
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro, optional
- 8 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Coat a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium high heat. Add the onion and sugar; saute 5 minutes or until tender. Reduce heat to medium; continue cooking for 5 to 10 minutes or until the onion is caramelized or deep golden brown. Remove from heat and stir in the thyme.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the beans, cumin, cheese, and cilantro; stir well.
- Spoon the bean mixture evenly down the center of each tortilla. Top evenly with the onion mixture. Roll up the tortillas jelly roll style and place the rolls, seam side down, on a baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray. Cover and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the cheese melts. Serve with salsa.
Want more help? Check out this step-by-step video on caramelizing onions.