Black Bean and Caramelized Onion Burritos
- Yield: 8 servings
- 3cups thinly sliced red onion
- 2teaspoons sugar
- 1/4teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2teaspoon ground cumin
- 1cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/4cup minced fresh cilantro, optional
- 8 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Coat a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium high heat. Add the onion and sugar; saute 5 minutes or until tender. Reduce heat to medium; continue cooking for 5 to 10 minutes or until the onion is caramelized or deep golden brown. Remove from heat and stir in the thyme.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the beans, cumin, cheese, and cilantro; stir well.
- Spoon the bean mixture evenly down the center of each tortilla. Top evenly with the onion mixture. Roll up the tortillas jelly roll style and place the rolls, seam side down, on a baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray. Cover and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the cheese melts. Serve with salsa.
Want more help? Check out this step-by-step video on caramelizing onions.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 236
- Fat 4g
- Saturated Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 3mg
- Sodium 592mg
- Carbohydrate 39g
- Fiber 4g
- Protein 11g