Bittersweet Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Cupcakes
- Yield 18 servings
These tiny chocolate cupcakes are topped with bittersweet chocolate frosting and a fresh raspberry.
- -- Cupcakes:
- 8 ounces 60% cocoa bittersweet chocolate, divided
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup clover honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup raspberries
- Bittersweet Chocolate Frosting:
- 1/4 cup clover honey
- 8 ounces 60% cocoa bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons seedless raspberry jam, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To prepare cupcakes, cut 2 ounces of chocolate into 18 pieces; set aside. Place 6 ounces of coarsely chopped chocolate in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave 30 seconds on high; stir well. Microwave 30 seconds more on high and stir until all lumps are gone. If more melting is necessary, microwave in 10 second increments and stir until all lumps are gone. Chocolate should not become too warm.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter until fluffy. Add honey and melted chocolate; mix well. Add eggs, one at a time.
- Add half of the reserved dry ingredients to the butter mixture; mix on low until just combined. With mixer running on low, slowly add the buttermilk. Add remaining dry ingredients until just combined.
- Place a tablespoon of batter in the bottom of each paper-lined muffin tin. Add one piece of chocolate and 2 to 3 raspberries to each cup. Fill muffin tins two-thirds full with remaining batter. Bake 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove to wire rack; cool. Frost with Bittersweet Chocolate Frosting, if desired.
- To preapre frosting, combine honey and chocolate in a medium bowl, set aside. In small, heavy pan, heat whipping cream over medium heat until bubbles just begin to form. Pour over honey-chocolate mixture and allow to stand for 2 minutes. Stir until smooth; cool. Refrigerate until chilled, 1 to 2 hours. 2. With an electric mixer, beat chocolate mixture until frosting is fluffy.