Bittersweet Chocolate Brownies
- Yield 12 servings
These bittersweet brownies are creamy on the inside and crunchy on the outside.
- 5 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 eggs
- Combine chocolate and butter in a medium bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and place in microwave oven on medium for 3 minutes. Stir well. Cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 325F. Lightly oil an 8 x 9-inch or 9-inch-square baking pan.
- Place sugar and flour in a mixer bowl and mix 30 seconds on low speed. Increase speed to medium and add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each.
- With mixer on low speed, drizzle in the cooled, melted chocolate mixture. Increase speed to medium and mix about 1 minute or until the batter is mousse-like in texture.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan and spread it evenly with a rubber spatula. Bake on center rack of oven 30 to 35 minutes or until the center is just set. Cool on a wire rack.
—Adapted from Leslie Mackie’s Macrina Bakery & Cafe Cookbook.