HamBob’s Angel Biscuits
- Yield: 18 servings
- 1cup buttermilk
- 1/8teaspoon baking soda
- 1tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1tablespoon sugar
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/2cup warm water (100F to 110F)
- 3 to 3 1/4cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2cup shortening
- Mix buttermilk and baking soda together.
- Mix yeast, sugar, salt and water together. Let stand until foamy.
- Combine flour and shortening, stirring with a fork until mixed well. Mix in buttermilk mixture. Mix in yeast mixture. (Dough will be wet.) Cover loosely with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Pat out dough to 1/2-inch thickness on a heavily floured board. Cut biscuits with a 2-inch cutter. Place on a baking sheet and let rise 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Bake biscuits 10 to 12 minutes, until golden brown. Makes about 18.
Note: Angel biscuits are a cross between a biscuit and a yeast roll. Placing them close together on the baking sheet makes them rise more.
—Recipe courtesy of The Hamery, Murfreesboro, Tenn.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 135
- Fat 6g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 56mg
- Carbohydrate 18g
- Fiber 1g
- Protein 3g