Gluten-Free Biscotti with Raisins and Dried Cherries
- Yield: 3
- Prep: 25 mins
- Cook: 45 mins
- 1/2cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1/2cup California natural raisins, chopped
- 1/2cup California golden raisins, chopped
- 1/4cup brandy, cognac, rum or orange juice
- 1 1/2cups basic gluten-free baking mix
- 3/4cup sugar
- 1/4cup sweet rice flour
- 1/4cup almond flour
- 2teaspoons grated lemon or orange zest
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 1teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 3/4teaspoon ground nutmeg or cinnamon
- 1/2teaspoon xantham gum
- 1/8teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- Measure cherries, raisins and brandy into a bowl. Cover and let stand for 15 to 20 minutes. Mix baking mix, sugar, rice flour, almond flour, zest, soda, baking powder, nutmeg, xanthan gum and salt together. In small bowl, whisk 2 egg whites and whole egg until frothy. Stir into dry ingredients along with undrained fruits; mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease or line cookie sheet with parchment paper. Turn dough onto counter dusted with rice flour. Flour hands generously and divide dough into 3 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a log about 12 inches long.
- Place logs as far apart as possible on prepared cookie sheet. Flatten slightly to 1/2-inch thick and 2 inches wide. Lightly beat remaining egg white and brush onto logs.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350F or until golden. Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 300F. Cut logs on slight diagnal into slices about 1-inch thick. Stand slices upright on cookie sheet. Return to oven and dry for 25 minutes. Cool.
Recipe courtesy of the California Raisin Marketing Board