Biscotti with Cranberries and Pistachios
- Yield servings
Dried cranberries and pistachio stud these sweet biscotti cookies.
"This Italian cookie has become a favorite down to the smallest grandchild. I make them for everyone."
- 1 pound butter, softened
- 4 cups sugar
- 8 eggs
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons anise seed
- 6 ounces almonds, chopped
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 ounces dried cranberries
- 1 cup shelled pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix the butter, sugar, eggs, baking powder, vanilla, anise seed, and almonds until well blended. Stir in the flour gradually. When smooth, stir in the cranberries and pistachios. This dough will be sticky but not difficult to handle. Divide the dough into 4 equal parts. Shape each section into a loaf about 15 inches long and 4 inches wide.
- Bake the loaves for about 45 minutes on a baking sheet with sides. (If the dough begins to spread and become too flat during baking, reshape it with a spatula.) Remove the loaves from the oven, and allow them to cool. When cool, cut each loaf into 1-inch slices. Place the slices back on the baking sheet, and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden.
- Yield: about 6 dozen large cookies
Recipe by Pat Aldighieri, Cornish, N.H.