Biscotti with Cranberries and Pistachios
- Yield: servings
"This Italian cookie has become a favorite down to the smallest grandchild. I make them for everyone."
- 1pound butter, softened
- 4cups sugar
- 8 eggs
- 1tablespoon baking powder
- 2teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4tablespoons anise seed
- 6ounces almonds, chopped
- 8cups all-purpose flour
- 6ounces dried cranberries
- 1cup shelled pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix the butter, sugar, eggs, baking powder, vanilla, anise seed, and almonds until well blended. Stir in the flour gradually. When smooth, stir in the cranberries and pistachios. This dough will be sticky but not difficult to handle. Divide the dough into 4 equal parts. Shape each section into a loaf about 15 inches long and 4 inches wide.
- Bake the loaves for about 45 minutes on a baking sheet with sides. (If the dough begins to spread and become too flat during baking, reshape it with a spatula.) Remove the loaves from the oven, and allow them to cool. When cool, cut each loaf into 1-inch slices. Place the slices back on the baking sheet, and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden.
- Yield: about 6 dozen large cookies
Recipe by Pat Aldighieri, Cornish, N.H.