Big Italian Salad
- Yield 12 servings
- Prep 15-20 minutes
A lively assembly of vegetables, meats and cheeses that you’d find on an antipasta board.
If you can find Castelvetrano olives from Sicily—vivid green with mild buttery taste—be sure to include them. They are exceptional.
- Creamy Garlic Dressing:
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 cup olive oil (or combination olive and canola oil)
- 1 to 2 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 large head romaine, washed, dried, chopped
- 1 head radicchio, washed, dried, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 10 ounces baby spinach
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut into halves
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives and/or pitted black olives
- 10 peperoncini peppers, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 (14-ounce) can quartered artichoke hearts in brine, drained
- 1/4 to 1/2 pound pepperoni or salami, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces provolone slices, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- To prepare dressing, mash garlic and salt to a paste in a small bowl. Whisk in mayonnaise, vinegar and oregano, then whisk in oil. Season with red pepper flakes.
- To prepare salad, place mixed greens in a large bowl. Add vegetables, meat and provolone. Pour dressing over ingredients and toss well. Sprinkle Parmigiano Reggiano on top.
Recipe courtesy of Nancy Vienneau and the Third Thursday Potluck