- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
Bibimbap can be as simple or as fancy as it needs to be, but basically it’s rice topped with meat and vegetables and a fried egg. Toss together and eat with a large spoon or a pair of chopsticks.
- Marinade and meat:
- 2teaspoons sugar
- 2teaspoons soy sauce
- pinch ground black pepper
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- 2teaspoons rice wine
- 2teaspoons sesame oil
- 1pound beef flank or sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 2teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2cups medium-grain rice, uncooked
- Vegetables and eggs:
- 2tablespoons sugar
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 carrots, peeled and julienned
- 2cups spinach leaves, trimmed
- 1medium zucchini, peeled and julienned
- 2cups bean sprouts, rinsed and sorted
- 8 fresh shitake mushrooms, julienned
- 1tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 whole eggs
- Optional garnish:
- 2 to 3 green onions, cut at an angle into 1-inch pieces
- Red pepper sauce, such as Sriracha, or chile paste
- To prepare the marinade, combine all ingredients (except vegetable oil and beef) in a large bowl. Place beef in marinade mixture. Cover and refrigerate 2 to 8 hours.
- Rinse rice. Cook according to package instructions. Keep warm.
- Remove meat from marinade. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add beef and saute 4 to 5 minutes or until done. Keep warm.
- To prepare the vegetables, combine sugar, salt and ground black pepper in a large bowl. Add carrots, spinach leaves, zucchini, bean sprouts and mushrooms, and toss to coat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Saute vegetable mixture 4 to 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Keep warm.
- Heat remaining 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggs and fry sunny-side up.
- Divide cooked rice among 4 large deep bowls. Arrange vegetables on top. Add strips of beef and cover with fried egg. Garnish with green onion, if desired. Serve with red pepper sauce.
Recipe by Christina Eng.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Glycemic Load 6.68
- Calories 730
- Fat 18g
- Saturated Fat 5g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 4g
- Monounsaturated Fat 6g
- Cholesterol 265mg
- Sodium 620mg
- Potassium 1070mg
- Carbohydrate 98g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugars 14g
- Protein 42g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Vitamin A 140%
- Vitamin C 35%
- Calcium 10%
- Iron 45%