Bettye’s Best Banana Bread
- Yield servings
"After years of tasting dry and flavorless banana breads, I worked out my own recipe. The secret is in using ripest bananas . . . almost too ripe to handle."
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 sticks margarine,softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 to 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup well-mashed, overripe bananas
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour two 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-inch loaf pans.
- Combine flour, salt and baking soda. Cream together butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately. Beat batter for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in vanilla, nuts and bananas.
- Spoon into loaf pans. Bake about 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool before adding the glaze.
- For the glaze, stir confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice together until smooth. Pour over cooled loaves.
—Bettye Brune, Mt. View, Ark.