Bison Taco Salad with Spicy Chipotle Dressing
- Yield: servings
- 2tablespoons plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 canned chipotle chile pepper in adobo (or 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper)
- 1 1/2teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 + 1/8teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4teaspoon paprika
- 4ounces bison sirloin steak
- 1/8teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1/8teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/3cup canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4cup chopped red bell pepper or tomatoes
- 1tablespoon Mexican blend or shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2tablespoons chopped red onion
- To make the dressing: puree the plain nonfat yogurt, lime juice, chipotle chile pepper, 1 teaspoon of the oil, 1/4 teaspoon of the cumin, and 1/8 teaspoon of the paprika in a blender or food processor fitted with a metal blade until smooth. Set aside.
- To make the taco salad: Preheat a medium nonstick skillet or grill pan over medium heat. Rub the steak with the chili powder, sea salt, the remaining 1/8 teaspoon of cumin, and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon of paprika. Drizzle with the remaining ½ teaspoon of olive oil to coat both sides, and season with black pepper to taste.
- Toss the lettuce, beans, bell pepper or tomato, cheese, and red onion in a medium bowl.
- Cook the steak for about 2 minutes per side for medium. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes before slicing into 1/4” thick pieces.
- Toss the salad with the prepared dressing and place the steak on top. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Keri Glassman