- Yield 12 servings
"When I married 14 years ago, my husband would always compare my lasagna recipe to his mother's. My recipe was found lacking. I said I would never make lasagna again until I got his mother's recipe. It took about a year, but I have to admit that this recipe is the best I've tasted. It has contributed to our happy marriage."
- Noodles and Cheese:
- 1 pound lasagna noodles
- 16 ounces Parmesan cheese
- 16 ounces grated mozzarella cheese
- 16 ounces cottage cheese
- Meat Sauce:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 pound mild sausage
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (12-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Cream Sauce:
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain, rinse with hot water. Drain again.
- To prepare the meat sauce, brown ground beef in a skillet. Add onion and garlic. Drain grease and add sausage, tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir in oregano, basil, salt, pepper, fennel seed and parsley. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes. Uncover and simmer 30 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- To prepare the cream sauce, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour. Cook 1 minute. Add milk and cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and thick.
- Preheat oven to 375F. To assemble the lasagna, pour 1/3 of meat sauce in bottom of a 15-by-12-inch pan. Lay 6 or 7 noodles over sauce. Pour 1/2 the remaining meat sauce over noodles. Sprinkle with 1/2 the Parmesan cheese. Add another layer of noodles. Sprinkle on mozzarella. Pour hot cream sauce on top. Layer with remaining noodles, cottage cheese, remaining meat sauce and remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake until cheese melts, about 30 minutes.
Recipe by Michelle Kellogg, Heber City, Utah