Best Blueberry Muffins
- Yield servings
These muffins are loaded with blueberries, a good source of fiber and phytochemicals.
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 -- baking soda
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat oven to 400F
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and margarine. Add the oatmeal and vanilla, stirring with a fork until well mixed; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine 1 3/4 cup flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and orange rind. In a small bowl combine the orange juice, buttermilk, oil and egg. Make a well in the center or the dry ingredients and add the egg mixture, stirring just until well moistened. Stir in the blueberries.
- Line the muffin tins with muffin papers. Fill the muffin cups two-thirds full and sprinkle with the crumb mixture. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until the top springs back when touched.