Best Barley Soup
- Yield 11 servings
Terrific twist to basic barley soup with bacon, naturally sweet yams, earthy mushrooms and carrots creating a comforting and superb dish.
- 5 slices turkey bacon
- 1/2 pound sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 8 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 cups chopped Louisiana yams (sweet potatoes), peeled and cut into small cubes
- 3/4 cup medium pearl barley
- Cook bacon until brown and crispy in a large nonstick pot. Remove and crumble when cooled.
- Coat the same large pot with nonstick spray and sauté mushrooms, garlic, and onion for 6-7 minutes.
- Toss in thyme, broth, bay leaf, carrots, sweet potatoes and barley. Bring to boil, reduce heat to a simmer for 25 minutes or until barley and vegetables are tender.
- Add seasoning and make sure to remove the bay leaf.
- Add broth if consistency appears too thick. Top with crumbled bacon and serve.