Berry Upside-Down Cake
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 45 mins
This fruit-topped cake looks like it takes much more work than it actually does.
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups reduced-fat buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Spray a 9-inch cake pan with cooking spray. Pour in melted butter. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over butter. Scatter berries over sugar.
- Place butter, oil and sugar in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Beat in egg and extracts.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to butter mixture, beating at low speed until just combined.
- Pour batter on top of the berries. Bake 45 to 50 minutes, until top is golden brown and the sides are bubbly.
- Remove from oven, cool 5 minutes, and invert onto a serving plate.
Recipe by Crescent Dragonwagon.