Ben’s Swiss Steak
- Yield 8 servings
A comfort meal for beef-lovers.
"'My son, Ben, loves Swiss Steak. He's always asking for it and enjoys it with a big helping of mashed potatoes. The jalapeno peppers add a little spice and heat."
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 pounds cube steak, cut into 8 pieces
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeno chiles, finely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- Place flour, salt and pepper in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add some of the steak pieces and coat evenly with flour mixture; shake off excess. Remove to a platter. Repeat with remaining steak.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add 2 pieces of meat and brown 3 minutes on each side. When browned, transfer to a Dutch oven. Repeat with remaining pieces of meat. Add additional oil if needed.
- Add 1 cup water to pan drippings. Bring to a boil, scraping bottom and sides of skillet to loosen brown bits. Pour over meat. Top with peppers, mushrooms, onions, jalapenos and tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover tightly, and simmer 1 hour and 45 minutes, until meat is very tender when pierced with a fork. Rearrange meat occasionally to keep pieces from sticking to the bottom of pan.
Recipe by Bernadette Swancer, Medina, Ohio.