Chicken Cabbage Rolls Beijing
- Yield servings
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 -- red bell pepper, diced
- 1 -- garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced or grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon Asian sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 -- Asian pear, peeled and diced
- 3 -- green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons julienned fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons julienned fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, lightly toasted
- 16 -- Napa (Chinese) cabbage leaves, about 1 head, chilled
- -- Optional accompaniment: whole mint and basil leaves
In a mixing bowl combine ground chicken, bell pepper, garlic, ginger, chili sauce, fish sauce, sesame oil and red pepper, blending well.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat; add the canola oil. When oil is hot add the chicken mixture, stirring to break up into small crumbles, until cooked through and lightly browned, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat; add the Asian pear, green onions, oyster sauce and herbs, blending well.
Spoon the chicken mixture into an attractive serving bowl; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Place bowl on a platter surrounded by cabbage leaves. To eat, spoon the chicken mixture into the cabbage leaves, then roll up and eat (best served with plenty of napkins). If desired, place additional whole mint and basil leaves on the platter for adding to the wraps. Yield: 4 main dish servings (or 8 to 10 appetizer servings).