Beets, Sweet and Heat
- Yield: 8 servings
- Sweet Heat Vinaigrette:
- 2tablespoons finely grated clementine or orange rind
- 1 shallot, peeled and quartered
- 1 jalapeno pepper, cut into halves, seeds removed
- 2tablespoons honey
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4cup champagne vinegar
- 1cup walnut oil
- 5ounces arugula
- 2large red beets, roasted and peeled
- 2large golden beets, roasted and peeled
- 6 clementines or 3 oranges
- To prepare vinaigrette: Place grated rind, shallot, jalapeno, honey, salt and champagne vinegar into a food processor fitted with a swivel blade. Process. Slowly pour in walnut oil as you continue processing, until vinaigrette is emulsified.
- To prepare salad: Make a bed of arugula on a platter.
- Slice beets into ¼-inch rounds.
- Peel citrus and slice supremes into ¼-inch rounds.
- Arrange slices, alternating beets and citrus, over arugula. Drizzle with vinaigrette and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Nancy Vienneau and the Third Thursday Potluck Club.