Beet and Fennel Salad with Blue Cheese
- Yield 4 servings
You can make this salad with cooked or raw beets, it's up to you.
- Cooked or Raw Beets:
- 1 large beet
- Water, optional
- pinch salt, optional
- Fennel Salad:
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, core removed, sliced very thinly
- 1 apple, unpeeled, cored and chopped
- 6 cups arugula leaves
- 1 cup crumbled mild blue cheese or gorgonzola cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive or walnut oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- Salt and fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
- To make beets: If using cooked beets, peel and quarter the beet. Bring a small saucepan of water to boil over high heat. Add a pinch salt and simmer beet 5 minutes until tender but still al dente. Drain, cool and chop.
- If using a raw beet, peel and shred with grater or using the shredding disc in a food processor.
- To make salad: In a large bowl, add beets, fennel, apples, arugula, blue cheese, walnuts, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Mix well and serve immediately.