Beet and Apple Soup
- Yield: servings
- 5tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 2cloves garlic
- 1 1/2pounds raw beets, trimmed, peeled and sliced
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 3/4cup hard cider
- 5cups chicken stock
- sea salts, black pepper
- 3bunches scallions, trimmed and sliced
- 3tablespoons creme fraiche
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat and cook the onion and garlic for 5–8 minutes until soft and glossy, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beets and apples and continue to cook for another 5 minutes, again stirring occasionally.
- Add the cider and reduce until syrupy, and then add the chicken stock and some seasoning. Bring to a boil over high heat, and then cover and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Purée the soup in batches in a food processor. Return it to the saucepan and taste to check the seasoning.
- About 10 minutes before the soup is ready, heat the remaining tablespoon of butter in a pan and cook the scallions over low heat until soft, about 8 minutes, seasoning them and stirring frequently.
- Reheat the soup if necessary before ladling it into warm bowls. To serve, place a spoonful of the scallions in the center and a heaping teaspoon of cre`me frai^che on top. Serve immediately.
Recipes from Soup, Glorious Soup by Annie Bell (Kyle Books; 2011)