Beer-Boiled Shrimp Cocktail
- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
No party is complete without beer. Here, it lends a kiss of hoppy flavor to shrimp cocktail. For individual servings, divide the sauce among martini glasses and hook the shrimp over the rims. Serve with lemon wedges for squeezing.
- 2 (12-ounce) bottles beer, preferably lager
- 3/4cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4cup crab-boil seasoning (such as Old Bay)
- 1teaspoon hot-pepper sauce
- 10 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2pounds large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined (preferably tail-on; thawed if frozen)
- Cocktail Sauce:
- 3/4cup bottled chili sauce
- 3tablespoons tomato paste
- 3tablespoons lime juice
- 3tablespoons dry white wine, sherry or vermouth
- 1 1/2tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 3/4teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2teaspoon hot-pepper sauce
- Mix all ingredients for shrimp (except shrimp) in large, deep skillet. Bring to simmer over high heat. Add shrimp, return to simmer, and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until shrimp curl and turn pink. Remove from heat and let stand 30 minutes. Cover and refrigerate 2 to 6 hours. Drain shrimp, discarding other solids. Chill until serving.
- Mix all ingredients for cocktail sauce in a small serving bowl. Chill until serving.
- Serve shrimp cold with sauce.
Recipe by David Joachim.