- Yield: 4 dozen
- 3/4cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, lightly chilled, cut in bits
- 1/2cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2cup whipped honey or crème
- 1tablespoon lemon zest (about 2 lemons)
- 1-- egg
- 3cups flour
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- -- Coarse sugar, optional
- Cream butter, brown sugar, honey and lemon zest until smooth; beat in egg. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to butter mixture in three additions, mixing well after each.
- Scrape dough onto plastic wrap; shape it into a log about 12 inches long. Chill an hour or so until firm, or up to 24 hours.
- Heat oven to 350F.
- Cut log into 1/4-inch slices; place 1 inch apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with coarse sugar, if desired, lightly pressing sugar into dough. Bake until edges are lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Cool 5 minutes on baking sheet, then transfer to a rack. Cool completely.