Beef Tagine with Squash and Beets
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 3tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- 1-- onion, cut in half and sliced
- 1tablespoon hot sauce
- 1pound cubed stewing beef
- 4-- garlic cloves, crushed
- 1-- hot chile pepper, chopped, or1 dried cayenne pepper, crushed
- 1-- slice candied ginger, chopped
- 4-- medium beets, quartered
- 2cups diced squash
- 1cup beef broth
- 2-- oranges, cut into segments
- 2cups fresh or frozen chopped Swiss chard
- 1/2cup chopped fresh cilantro or flat-leaf parsley
- In the bottom of a flameproof tagine, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and ras el hanout and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add beef, garlic, chile pepper and ginger, stirring well to coat beef with vegetables and seasonings. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 to 10 minutes or until beef is browned on all sides.
- Add beets, squash and broth and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cover with tagine lid, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes. Add oranges and Swiss chard, replace lid and cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Beef should cut easily with a fork and if not quite tender, replace cover and cook until beef is tender. Garnish with parsley.
Excerpted from 150 Best Tagine Recipes by Pat Crocker © 2011 Robert Rose Inc. www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved.