Beef Sliders Stuffed with California Walnuts and Gorgonzola
- Yield: 16 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 10 mins
- 1teaspoon olive oil
- 4slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1/2cup finely chopped shallots
- 2cups finely chopped button mushrooms
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-- egg, lightly beaten
- 1pound 10% fat ground beef
- 4ounces Gorgonzola (or blue cheese), divided into 16 portions
- 32-- California walnut halves
- 16small dinner rolls (or 2, 24-inch baguettes, sliced into 8 equal portions, then sliced horizontally)
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat and sauté bacon until just cooked but not crisp.
- Add shallots and cook until translucent. Add mushrooms and continue cooking until water evaporates, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and let cool. Add salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and egg to mixture. Add beef and gently mix by hand until all ingredients are corporated, without overmixing.
- Divide mixture into 16 equal portions. Form into thick patties, about 1-1/2 inches thick and 2-1/2 inches in diameter, tucking a piece of cheese and 2 walnut halves into the centre of each patty.
- Grill patties on medium-high heat until cooked to preferred doneness. Serve in small dinner rolls or between baguette slices with desired condiments.
Tip: If omitting bacon, increase olive oil to 2 tsp. A pinch of sweet smoked paprika will bring back the bacon’s smoky flavor, if desired.
Recipe Courtesy of Canada
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 210
- Glycemic Load 0
- Fat 11g
- Saturated Fat 3.5g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
- Monounsaturated Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 45mg
- Sodium 450mg
- Potassium 220mg
- Carbohydrate 15g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugars 2g
- Protein 14g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Vitamin A 4%
- Vitamin C 2%
- Calcium 10%
- Iron 10%