Beef Brisket in Beer Baste
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 1-- (3- to 4-pound) beef brisket, trimmed
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-- onion, sliced into rings
- 1/4cup chili sauce
- 2tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-- garlic clove, minced
- 1-- (12-ounce) can beer
- 2tablespoons flour
- 1/2cup water
- Season beef with salt and pepper. Place beef in a 9×13-inch flame-proof baking dish. Cover beef with onion rings.
- Combine chili sauce, brown sugar, garlic and beer in a bowl and mix well. Spoon over beef. Bake, covered, with foil, at 350F for 3 1/2 hours. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, basting occasionally with pan drippings. Remove beef to a platter.
- For the gravy, skim any fat from the surface on the pan drippings. Combine drippings with enough water to measure 1 cup. Combine flour and 1/2 cup water in a bowl, stirring until blended and smooth. Combine with pan drippings in the baking dish or a saucepan. Cook over medium heat until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly. Cut beef cross-grain into slices. Serve gravy on the side.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Morgan County’s Beyond Cotton Country (The Junior League of Morgan County, Decatur, Ala., 1999).