Beef Braised in Brown Butter (Draadjesvlees)
- Yield: 10 servings
- Prep: 5 minutes
- Cook: 180 minutes
- 3pounds boneless chuck roast
- Coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8tablespoons butter
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- Trim excess fat off beef. Liberally sprinkle both sides of meat with salt and black pepper.
- Melt butter in a deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. When butter gets a toasty brown color, add meat. Sear on 3 to 4 minutes, then flip to sear the other side. When both sides are nicely browned, add water—just enough to cover the meat—along with bay leaves and cloves. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook 3 hours.
- After 3 hours, remove meat and let it rest 10 minutes. Slice it into ¼-inch pieces, return meat to pan and cook for another hour.
- Serve sliced meat in its rich juices with the Hutspot.
Recipe courtesy of Nancy Vienneau and the Third Thursday Potluck