- Yield: 8 servings
- 1 1/2teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2pounds lean beef stew meat
- 2cups vertically sliced onions
- 2cups sliced carrots
- 1cup diced green or red bell pepper
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (12-ounce) package button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 (14-ounce) can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 1/2cups dry red wine
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 3tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2tablespoons butter, softened
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (optional)
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef in batches and cook until brown. Remove to a plate.
- Add onion, carrot, mushrooms and bell pepper to pan; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Return beef and any juices to pan. Add tomatoes and next 8 ingredients (tomatoes through black pepper). Cover and bring to a simmer. Cook 2 hours or until beef is tender. Discard bay leaf.
- Combine flour and butter in a small bowl. Mix with your fingers or a fork until mixture becomes a paste. Ladle about 1/2 cup pan juices into flour mixture. Whisk until very smooth. Add to pan. Stir well.
- To serve, ladle into soup plates and sprinkle with parsley if using.
Recipe by Jean Kressy
For a complete menu featuring Beef Bourguigon, along with 11 more simple menus for year round entertaining, check out our Supper Club Menus Recipe App for the iPad on iTunes.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 250
- Fat 8g
- Cholesterol 55mg
- Sodium 340mg
- Carbohydrate 14g
- Fiber 3g
- Protein 22g