Beef, Arugula and Spinach Lasagna
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Cook: 60 mins
Oven-ready noodles and prepared pasta sauce make this taste-tempting lasagna a breeze to prepare.
- 1 1/2pounds ground beef, 95 percent lean
- 2teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/4teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4teaspoon pepper, divided
- 4cups prepared pasta or spaghetti sauce
- 2cups loosely packed fresh baby arugula (about 1 3/4 ounces)
- 1-- (15-ounce) container fat free ricotta cheese
- 2-- egg whites
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 9-- no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1 1/2cups reduced-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1. Heat oven to 375F. Brown ground beef with garlic in large nonstick skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up into crumbles. Pour off drippings; season with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Stir in pasta sauce. Set aside.
- 2. Combine arugula and spinach. In a separate bowl, combine ricotta cheese, egg whites, basil, oregano, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- 3. Spread 1 cup meat sauce over bottom of 12-by-8-inch glass baking dish. Top with 3 noodles, 1/2 ricotta mixture, 1/2 spinach mixture, 1/2 cup mozzarella and 1 1/2 cups meat sauce. Repeat layers. Top with remaining 3 noodles and meat sauce.
- 4. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until noodles are tender and sauce is bubbly. Remove foil; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand, loosely covered, 10 minutes before serving.
Adapted from The Healthy Beef Cookbook, by the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association and the American Dietetic Association (John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 2006).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 520
- Glycemic Load 0
- Fat 15g
- Saturated Fat 7g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat 5g
- Cholesterol 130mg
- Sodium 1760mg
- Potassium 1260mg
- Carbohydrate 37g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugars 8g
- Protein 57g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Vitamin A 25%
- Vitamin C 20%
- Calcium 50%
- Iron 40%