Beef and Rice
- Yield 8 servings
This simple, hearty beef and rice dish is a comforting favorite of everyone.
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 pound lean ground sirloin
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt added tomatoe sauce
- 2/3 cup canned beef consomme
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute celery, green onions, garlic and green pepper until tender, about 5 minutes. Add meat and cook until browned, about 6 minutes, stirring until it crumbles. Drain off any excess grease. Add tomato sauce, consomme, oregano, basil, Worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper and cook 5 minutes. Mix cooked rice and pour into a 3-quart casserole coated with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle with the cheese, if desired. Bake, covered, about 30 minutes.