Beef and Onions Braised in Beer
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 105 mins
Beer and beef, together, in a hearty dinnertime stew.
Serve over mashed potatoes with Brussels sprouts.
- 2 pounds beef chuck, cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 medium onions, cut into halves and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 parsnips, coarsely chopped
- 1 (14-ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle full-flavored beer
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Sprinkle beef with flour. In a Dutch oven or deep ovenproof skillet, heat oil and brown beef on all sides. Remove beef from pan. Add onions to pan and cook over medium-high heat until lightly browned, stirring often. Stir in garlic, salt and pepper and cook 5 minutes.
- Add beef back to pan. Add parsnips, broth, beer, sugar, thyme and vinegar. Cover and bake 1 1/2 hours or until beef is tender.