- Yield 1 cups
A great recipe for a classic French sauce.
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon or 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried chervil or 2 teaspoons fresh chervil
- 2 -- shallots, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 3 -- egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon water
- 10 tablespoons butter
- -- Cayenne pepper to taste
- In top of double boiler, combine herbs, shallots, peppercorns, salt, vinegar, and wine. Cook over direct medium heat until liquid is reduced to about two tablespoons. Cool slightly. Combine egg yolks and water; stir into wine mixture. Place pan over hot water and add butter one tablespoon at a time, stirring constantly. Add cayenne pepper. Serve with chateubriand.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Atlanta’s Atlanta Cooknotes(the Junior League of Atlanta, Ga., 1982).