Bean and Grain Burgers
- Yield 10 servings
These fiber-rich Bean and Grain Burgers are not only tastier than typical burgers, but healthier as well.
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (19-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained, rinsed, and ground or coarsely chopped
- 3 slices whole-wheat bread, blended in food processor
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/3 cup raw wheat germ
- 10 multi-grain hamburger rolls
- Sauté onion in vegetable oil. Then mix all ingredients, except wheat germ, and form into patties. Coat each patty with raw wheat germ, and grill on a non-stick surface. Serve on multi-grain roll with your favorite toppings.
Recipe by Sammy T’s, Fredricksburg, Va. Published in The Best in the World, Neal D. Barnard, M.D., courtesy of The Cancer Project