Beach House Soup
- Yield 13 servings
Substitute shrimp for the crab meat or use a combination of the two for variety.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cups chopped red potatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups vegetable juice cocktail (regular or spicy)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1 pound fresh lump crab meat, drained and flaked
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Cook the bacon in a large, heavy saucepan until brown and crisp. Drain, reserving the bacon drippings. Crumble the bacon.
- Saute the onion, celery and bell peppers in the reserved bacon drippings for 11 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in the potatoes, broth, vegetable juice cocktail, bay leaves, Old Bay seasoning and paprika. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat.
- Simmer for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Stir in the tomatoes and corn. Cook for 15 minutes and stir in the crab meat and bacon.
- Discard the bay leaves and season with the pepper. Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle with the parsley.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Devon Horse Show and Country Fair, Appetizers at Devon, A Collection of Recipes from the Devon Horse Show and Country Fair (Devon Horse Show and Country Fair, 2008)