Beach House Crab Soup
- Yield 13 servings
This delicious crab soup makes a wonderful appetizer.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cups chopped red potatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups vegetable juice cocktail (regular or spicy)
- 2 -- bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1 pound fresh lump crab meat, drained and flaked
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Cook the bacon in a large heavy saucepan until brown and crisp. Drain, reserving the bacon drippings. Crumble the bacon. Saute the onion, celery and bell peppers in a reserved bacon drippings for 11 minutes or until tender. Stir in the potatoes, broth, vegetable juice cocktail, bay leaves, Old Bay seasoning and paprika. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat.
- Simmer for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Stir in the tomatoes and corn. Cook for 15 minutes and stir in crab meat and bacon. Discard the bay leaves and season with the pepper. Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle with the parsley.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Devon Horse Show and County Fair’s Appetizers at Devon(Devon, Pennsylvania, 2008).