Beach House Crab Soup
- Yield: 13 servings
- 4slices bacon
- 1cup chopped onion
- 1cup chopped celery
- 1/2cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2cups chopped red potatoes
- 4cups vegetable broth
- 2cups vegetable juice cocktail (regular or spicy)
- 2-- bay leaves
- 1teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/2teaspoon paprika
- 2cups chopped tomatoes
- 2cups corn kernels
- 1pound fresh lump crab meat, drained and flaked
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Cook the bacon in a large heavy saucepan until brown and crisp. Drain, reserving the bacon drippings. Crumble the bacon. Saute the onion, celery and bell peppers in a reserved bacon drippings for 11 minutes or until tender. Stir in the potatoes, broth, vegetable juice cocktail, bay leaves, Old Bay seasoning and paprika. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat.
- Simmer for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Stir in the tomatoes and corn. Cook for 15 minutes and stir in crab meat and bacon. Discard the bay leaves and season with the pepper. Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle with the parsley.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Devon Horse Show and County Fair’s Appetizers at Devon(Devon, Pennsylvania, 2008).