Barbecue Udon Noodles with Plum
- Yield 6 servings
This barbecue sauce shows off the best of sweet and savory flavors in Asian cuisine.
- Asian-style Barbecue Sauce:
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup white miso
- 1/4 cup sake
- 1/4 cup double-concentrated tomato paste
- 1/4 cup ponzu sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- To complete the dish:
- 1 (10-ounce) package undon noodles
- 6 plums, cut into 6 wedges each
- 3 broccoli stalks, out layer peeled and cut into planks
- Canola oil
- 4 carrots, cut into oblong sliced
- 1 celery stalk, cut into oblong slices
- 1 large bunch kale, stems removed and cut into shreds
- Sesame seeds
- To make the Asian-style Barbeque sauce: In a medium pot, combine hoisin sauce, vegetable broth, white miso, sake, tomato paste, ponzu sauce, chili garlic sauce, sesame oil, cinnamon stick and star anise. Place over medium heat and let simmer for 15 minutes. Set aside until ready to use.
- To complete the BBQ Udon Noodles with Plum: Put a large pot of water on the stove to boil. If you have dry udon noodles then cook them according to package directions. If you are using pre-cooked, use the water to warm them. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a grill pan or grill over medium high heat and place the plum wedges and broccoli planks in the pan. Cook on each side until the plums and broccoli have caramelized grill marks. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Drizzle some canola oil in a large wok-style pan over on medium high heat. Place the carrots and celery to the pan and stir-fry for 2 to 4 minutes, or until vegetables begin to become tender. Add the kale to the pan and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until wilted but still vibrantly green.
- Add barbecue sauce to the cooked and drained noodles and mix well. Toss the noodles with the sautéed carrots, celery and kale. Serve topped with the grilled plums and broccoli stalks and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Serve on hamburger buns topped with avocado slices and whatever other burger condiments you like.