Barbecued Tart Cherry Tempeh
- Yield 6 servings
Tempeh takes on the full flavor of the Chinese-inspired tart cherry sauce, nuanced with garlic chili paste and white miso. Chinese green beans and carrots are steamed briefly, so they still retain their delightful crunch.
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 cups tart cherry juice
- 1/4 cup white miso
- 1/4 cup sake
- 1/4 cup double-concentrated tomato paste
- 1/4 cup low sodium tamari sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 (8-ounce) package tempeh, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups Chinese long beans or green beans, cut bite-sized
- 4 carrots, cut into a thick julienne
- Sesame seeds
- Sliced almonds
- Combine the hoisin sauce, tart cherry juice, white miso, sake, tomato paste, tamari, chili garlic sauce and sesame oil in a large pan over low heat. Stir to combine and bring to a low simmer.
- Add the bite-sized tempeh and continue to simmer with the sauce for 30 minutes.
- Place the beans and carrots in a steamer or double boiler. Steam for 5 minutes, or until vegetables are just cooked, but still retain a crunch. Transfer the beans and carrots to a large bowl. Cover the vegetables with the tempeh and as much sauce as you prefer. Mix gently until the vegetables and tempeh are coated with the sauce to preference.
- Garnish with sesame seems and sliced almonds. Serve over brown rice or udon noodles.