Basil and Olive Pesto Pasta
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
- Prep 10 - 15 minutes
- Cook 15 minutes
- Additional grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup walnuts, pine nuts or almonds
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 (2 1/4-ounce) can medium or large black olives
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Boil pasta in salted water according to package instructions. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons water.
- Place basil, parsley, nuts, parmesan cheese and olives in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until mixture is slightly shredded, yet not smooth. Add garlic and continue to blend while drizzling olive oil in through the food chute. Add pepper and lemon juice and blend until smooth.
- Toss warm pasta with reserved water and pesto until well blended. Garnish with grated parmesan cheese.
Notes: Pesto can be stored 1 week in refrigerator or frozen 6 months. To use frozen pesto, thaw and toss with hot pasta.