Basil and Heirloom Tomato Salad
- Yield 4 servings
When your basil is knee-high in the garden and tomatoes are at their peak, make with quick-and-easy salad.
Serve with fresh Italian or French bread rounds.
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 medium heirloom tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 12 large basil leaves, julienned
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- -- Salt and fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
- Make alternating layers of cheese and tomato slices on a serving plate (alternate colors if using different-colored tomatoes). Sprinkle basil over the top. Drizzle with oil and vinegar. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.