- Yield servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 5 mins
Fresh herbs brighten the flavor of this veggie.
- 1 bunch broccoli
- Sea salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup diced red bell peppers or cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cut the broccoli florets off the stalks, then peel the stems and cut them into bite-size pieces. Add a pinch of salt and the broccoli florets and stems to the pot of water and blanch for 30 seconds. Drain the broccoli, then run it under cold water to stop the cooking process; this will retain its lush green color
- Heat the olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat, then add the garlic and red pepper flakes and saute for 30 seconds, just until aromatic. Add the bell pepper and a pinch of salt and saute for an additional minute. Stir in the broccoli florets and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and saute for 2 minutes; the broccoli should still be firm. Gently stir in the lemon juice, lemon zest, and basil and serve immediately.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 5 to 7 days.