Basil and Five-Spice Chicken Legs with Cantaloupe Salad
- Yield: 4 servings
- 4-- chicken leg quarters
- 16-- basil leaves
- 1tablespoon five-spice powder
- 1stalk lemon grass, coarsely chopped
- 1/4cup soy sauce
- 2tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3tablespoons water
- Cantaloupe Salad
- 1/2-- Cantaloupe
- 1/2teaspoon five-spice powder
- 2tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1-1/2tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon black pepper
- 12-- basil leaves, slivered
- Lift the skin on leg quarters and press 4 basil leaves under each. Place chicken in plastic bag that seals.
- In blender, mix 1 tablespoon five-spice powder, lemon grass, soy sauce, vegetable oil and water. Puree until smooth. Pour mixture into plastic bag with chicken; seal and shake until chicken is coated. Refrigerate at least 1 hour, or up to 24 hours.
- When ready to cook, prepare coals for grill, or preheat gas grill. Place chicken on grill over medium heat and cook, turning, until firm and cooked thoroughly, about 10 – 15 minutes per side.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare salad by whisking together in medium bowl 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder, rice vinegar, 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Set aside. Arrange cantaloupe slices on serving plates or platter. Drizzle salad dressing over cantaloupe; sprinkle with slivered basil leaves. Place chicken legs next to salad to serve