Basic Grilled Steak
- Yield: servings
- 2 tender cuts of steak (porterhouse, sirloin, and T-bone all work well)
- 3tablespoons chili powder
- 1teaspoon garlic powder
- 3tablespoons paprika
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- olive oil
- Mix paprika, chili powder, garlic, salt and pepper.Rub steak with mixture. Cover spice-rubbed steak and refrigerate up to 4 hours.
- Oil pan or grill grate and heat to high. [To check for high grill heat, use the hand test —hold your hand about 4 inches above the grate and count, ‘one Mississippi, two Mississippi, three Mississippi’. If at two to three Mississippi, the grill is so hot you have to take your hand away, it’s ready.]
- Place steak in pan or on grate and cook about 3 minutes on each side. Exact time depends on thickness. To make grill marks, rotate steak about 45 degrees after about 2 minutes, . Always turn with tongs.
- To check for doneness, when steak is medium-rare the temperature on an instant-read meat thermometer will register 130-135 degrees. Also, the steak will feel slightly resistant (not soft) when pressed with finger.
- Transfer steak to carving board or plate and let rest 5 to 10 minutes. This makes it juicier.
- Carve steak against the grain.