Basic Potato Soup
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- 2cups stock or reduced-sodium broth
- 1 1/4pounds white potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-size cubes
- 2stalks celery, chopped
- 1medium onion, chopped
- 1small carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1cup fat-free half-and-half or milk
- 1/2teaspoon thyme or Italian seasoning
- Sea salt or garlic salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Bring broth to a boil in a large saucepan. Chop vegetables while broth is heating, then add to saucepan. Return to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Let cool slightly, then puree until smooth, or until soup is desired consistency. Stir in remaining ingredients and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Broccoli, Chicken and Cheddar Soup: Stir 1 cup each: small broccoli flowerettes, diced cooked chicken and reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese into hot soup. Cook for 5 minutes more.
- Potato Corn Chowder Soup: Increase broth to 2 1/2 cups and stir in 1 1/2 cups frozen corn (thawed) and 3/4 cup diced ham. Simmer for 20 minutes, then press potatoes against the side of the pan with the back of a wooden spoon to break up and thicken soup. Reduce fat-free half and half to 1/2 cup and add shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Chunky Potato Minestrone Soup: Increase broth to 3 cups. Reduce potatoes to 1/2 lb. and increase carrots to two. Omit half and half and instead stir in 2 cups prepared pasta sauce and 1/2 cup canned white beans with the vegetables; simmer for 20 minutes. Serve with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Recipe courtesy of the United States Potato Board
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 220
- Fat 1.5g
- Saturated Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 5mg
- Sodium 340mg
- Potassium 205mg
- Carbohydrate 41g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugars 8g
- Protein 9g