Basic Louisiana Rice
- Yield: servings
- 1tablespoon chicken fat, extra-virgin olive oil, or butter
- 1small onion, minced
- 1 1/2cups Louisiana long-grain white rice
- 3cups basic chicken stock
- 1-- bay leaf
- 1-2pinch salt
1. Put the fat, oil, or butter and the onions into a medium saucepan and sweat the onions over moderate heat until they are translucent, about 5 minutes. Pour the rice into the pan and stir for 2 minutes. Then add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add the bay leaf and salt.
2. Cover the pan with a lid, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 18 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, fluff the rice with a fork, and serve.
Reprinted with permission from My New Orleans by John Besh, Andrews McMeel Publishing