Basic Louisiana Rice
- Yield servings
This recipe will work with most long-grain rices, including Popcorn Rice. Save some of the fat skimmed from your chicken stock to perfume the rice with many wonderful flavors.
- 1 tablespoon chicken fat, extra-virgin olive oil, or butter
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 1/2 cups Louisiana long-grain white rice
- 3 cups basic chicken stock
- 1 -- bay leaf
- 1-2 pinch salt
1. Put the fat, oil, or butter and the onions into a medium saucepan and sweat the onions over moderate heat until they are translucent, about 5 minutes. Pour the rice into the pan and stir for 2 minutes. Then add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add the bay leaf and salt.
2. Cover the pan with a lid, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 18 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, fluff the rice with a fork, and serve.
Reprinted with permission from My New Orleans by John Besh, Andrews McMeel Publishing