Basic Hummus and 3 Variations
- Yield 8 servings
In Greece, smashed chickpeas are served rustically, barely smashed with raw garlic and extra-virgin olive oil.
- 2 cups drained canned chickpeas, rinsed well and drained
- 3 -- garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 3 -- ice cubes
- -- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- -- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Place chickpeas, garlic, tahini, ice cubes, lemon juice, cumin, hot sauce and salt in a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Process until the mixture begins to become smooth. With the motor running, slowly add the olive oil through the feed tube until the mixture is creamy and smooth.
Jalapeno and Scallion Hummus Variation: Add 1 seeded chopped jalapeno and 2 chopped scallions to the mixture before processing.
Kalamata Olive Hummus Variation: Add 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives to the mixture before processing. Or for a chunkier version, add the olives during the last 30 seconds of processing.
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus Variation: Add 1/2 cup jarred roasted red pepper, drained very well, plus 1 teaspoon paprika to the mixture before processing.