Basic Deviled Eggs
- Yield 24 servings
Garnish these eggs with a sprig of parsley or dill, capers, paprika or black or green olive slices.
- 12 -- eggs in shells
- -- Water
- 1 teaspoon cider or white vinegar
- -- Salt
- 1/4 cup low-fat or light mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 dash hot sauce
- Place eggs in a saucepan large enough to hold them all in a single layer. Cover with cool water by 2 inches. Add a good pinch salt and vinegar, which help the eggs coagulate if there is a crack in the shell. Bring water to a gentle boil, turn off the heat and allow eggs to stand in the hot water 10 minutes. Drain, immediately rinse eggs in ice water and place the eggs in a bowl with cold water. When the eggs are chilled through, peel them.
- Cut the eggs in half lengthwise. Place the yolks in a medium mixing bowl. Mash the yolks with the mayonnaise, mustard, Worcestershire, 1/2 teaspoon salt, paprika and hot sauce until smooth. Place the yolk mixture into a piping bag and squeeze into the egg white halves. You can also use a teaspoon to place the yolk mixture in the egg white halves.